Whether your characters are soaring through space on a ship or through the sky on the back of a dragon, this four-week course will go over the basic elements of Sci-Fi and Fantasy stories.
What We’ll Cover:
- The main elements of Fantasy and Sci-Fi stories including creating dynamic characters, a compelling plot, and stand-out settings
- Establishing rules for your world
- The basic elements of worldbuilding
- Avoiding common pitfalls
- How to layer elements and themes for multi-dimensional
- We’ll also touch on related sub-genres such as Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance, Post-Apocalyptic/Dystopian, Magical Realism, the Punk genres, and mashups
- Toward the end of the class, students will have the opportunity (if they wish) to submit pages for private feedback from the instructor
Who Should Take This Course:
- This class is suitable for beginning, intermediate, and advanced writers of kidlit, YA, and adult manuscripts
- You could have the barest idea for a world or a written manuscript where the world needs some fleshing out—and everything in-between, including not quite knowing where your manuscript fits genre-wise
- This is aimed at writers of Sci-Fi, Fantasy, and related genres
Suzanne Lazear is the author of the young adult steampunk fairytale series THE AETHER CHRONICLES and the new adult elfpunk series THE SECRET LIVES OF ROCKSTARS. An avid baker and crafter, she lives in Southern California with her daughter, husband, a cockatiel, and a small army of stuffed animals. Learn more about her at www.suzannelazear.com
There are no reviews yet. Be the first one to write one.
Submit a Review