Later: Navigating the Tightrope between Historical Fact and Historical Fiction
Instructor: Anne Mateer
; Fee: $60
Navigating the Tightrope between Historical Fact and Historical Fiction
- The continuum of possibilities between fictional fact and fully fiction.
- Understanding the big picture of your historical setting.
- Discovering daily life realities from the time period that can enhance and fuel your story.
- Adding customs or culture from your time period to augment both the historical feel and the plot.
- Using both real and imagined characters.
- How vocabulary contributes to the reader’s historical experience.
- The art of putting all the pieces together to craft an accessible and believable work of historical fiction.
Anne Mateer is the author of four historical novels with Bethany House publishers. She has had a passion for both history and fiction since she first began reading as a child. Armed with a B.A. in history from Southern Methodist University, she enjoys exploring the lives of characters from bygone eras, both factual and fictional.