Power up your setting can help you overcome!
- Develop a story world
- Give clues to society, culture and structure
- Ground the reader and character in place
- Make place mean more than just a place to be
- Use setting to reveal point of view character
- Use setting to reveal non-point-of-view character
- Reveal the emotional state of a character
- Use subtext/metaphor to make the settings have a deeper meaning
- Advance plot
- Remain authentic to story and character
And the key is bringing your setting to life! And we can do it!
Whether you are working on your first novel or your fortieth novel, the class will push you deeper to create a setting that resonates not only with characters but readers as well.