Learn the musts of writing a series!
Instructor: Lisa Wells
April 3 – 30; Fee: $75
Getting Serious About Writing a Series
In this course, you will design your series bible, create the
twelve items it must include:
1. Story structure. Learn how to shape your story and series for
the best fit.
2. Specification of your story’s use of time. Do your books have a
clock that ticks backward as well as forward?
3. Series connection plan. Don’t leave the way your books are going
to connect to chance. Study and seize a style that will keep readers coming
back for more.
4. Rules. Boundaries. Limitations. Whatever you call them, you must
set them before you write your series. If you don’t, you risk your books
becoming a joke.
5. A personalized contract. You will need one to keep you on track
6. Record of how your series will end. Stimulating ideas for the
end of your series is important. Even if you’re a pantser, you need to know how
your series could finish with a boom.
7. Opening scene – script it until it’s perfect.
8. Plot possibilities. There is a smorgasbord of ways you can
develop plot ideas. Your bible should include pages for you to track your ideas
for the books as well as the series.
9. Develop your elevator pitch for your first book.
10. Develop your elevator pitch for your series.
11. Develop your series paragraph for your query letter.
12. Synopsis. If an agent requests a synopsis, and it’s almost
guaranteed they will, learn how to create one without going insane.
You’ll learn series-writing tips from award-winning authors
including: Bella Andre, Romily Bernard, Laura
Bradford, Allison Brennan, Diana Cosby, Vicky
Dreiling, Angie Fox, Adrienne Giordano, Diana
Groe, Charlotte Hubbard, Darynda Jones, Kieran Kramer, C.J.
Lyons, Shirley Jump, Brenda Novak, Pamela Palmer, Robin
Perini, Bonnie Ramthun, Renee Ryan, Jeanne Stein, and Joan
Swan. Bonus – Three new authors have
agreed to share their tips.
So, if you’re serious about writing a series, sign-up and settle
in. Soon, you’ll own a series bible swarming with the details you need
to slumber serenely knowing your brain no longer has to track all of those
pesky series specifics.
Lisa Wells is a veteran educator and an author who writes sexy
romantic comedy. Her offbeat brand of romance has received multiple five
starred reviews. One of her favorite reviews said: “I fell in love with these characters! Often I read books so
fast that when I am finished I don’t recall much about them. This book made me
want to slow down and savor each page yet read faster because I had to know
what happened next. I cheered for Kinley and fell in love with Ian! What a
story! Can’t wait to read more from Lisa Wells.”
Lisa lives in Missouri with her husband and stinky, snoring,
slow-as-a-slug dog who loves to go on two-mile walks at a brisk
30-minutes-per-mile pace. In her free time, Lisa loves reading, knitting, and
those rare mornings when her skinny jeans fit.
She teaches on-line writing classes, drinks red wine, and averages
twenty-three minutes of deep sleep a night.
believes writers should never quit studying their craft. When she decided
to write a series and couldn’t find affordable material that taught the nuances
of writing series vs. stand-alone books, she designed her own how-to-class. She
is currently writing a series for Entangled Publishing. Check out the first two
books in her series: The Seduction of
Kinley Foster and The Attraction of Adeline. The third book in the series is
coming soon – The Flirtation of Maggie
To learn more about all of Lisa’s books, visit