DEEP EDITING is for the writer who wants to psychologically impact the unconscious of the reader. For the writer who wants to learn fresh editing techniques. For the writer who wants to edit for power.
- Learn the EDITS System and take it deeper. See the interplay of patterns on the page and analyze what’s needed to strengthen the scene. This is not a broad-brush approach, it’s a roll up your sleeves and get to work making a difference with your manuscript.
If you were introduced to Margie’s EDITS System in her Empowering Characters’ Emotions course, you’ll learn how to expand the EDITS System in DEEP EDITING.
- Learn 25 rhetorical devices and practice using them in your work. From anaphora to epistrophe, amplification to epizeuxis – learn how and when to use these techniques. Examples of rhetorical devices from best selling authors will motivate writers to follow their lead.
- Develop skills by using worksheets provided in each lecture. The worksheets also serve as a handy reference for learning the rhetorical devices.
4) Learn Deep Editing tips including Margie’s Five Q, back story management, power lines, SAPS, throw-away words, cliché twists, back loading, tautologies, and emotional hits.
5) Develop a personal editing checklist from the Master Editing Checklist offered in the course.
Learn how to make a FINAL EDITING PASS and make it be your last pass.
I learned about Margie through Australian author Dorothy Adamek, who had attended a Margie immersion and found the experience so valuable that she hosted her own immersion course, which was absolutely brilliant - and which I credit with winning an ACFW Genesis Award, and helping an author client win a RITA.
This course is one of Margie's "Big Three" and is a pre-requisite to attending an immersion. I did the course as a self-learning lecture packet, which suited me as I was working full-time at the time, and wouldn't have been able to properly participate in the class.
The lecture packet has all the same information and learning as the class. This lecture packet covers Margie's brilliant EDITS system (you'll need highlighters in five colours ... an excuse to visit the office supplies store!) and covers over 30 powerful rhetorical devices that add power and interest to your writing.
I do recommend spending a little extra money and making sure you print the lecture packets (a few hundred pages) in colour. I made the mistake of going cheap and printing in black and white, which means Margie's wonderful highlighter method is shades of grey on my printouts.
This was the first course of Margie's I had ever taken via independent study and it changed how I edited my work. I can't say enough about her lectures! I'm hooked!! Well worth the price. I have since bought more and joined live classes. If you enjoy writing and you want to be published, this is a MUST-HAVE addition to your self-study!!!