The Truth About Writing Life and Money
Are you wondering what career path to follow, Indy or Traditional? Would you like to know how much money authors really make, but Google shows you a hundred different numbers? Confused about how much to invest promoting your novel, on skill-development, or making an audiobook? Do you feel like you spend hours on your writing career but don’t get anywhere? Experienced, happy, bestselling author Kathleen Baldwin has answers to your questions and wants to help.
In addition to your questions, we will cover:
- Discover the hidden reasons why you write. You may think you know, but the truth is tucked away deep in your psyche. Kathleen will help you dig to find out what lies beneath. This is essential information for new writers and equally crucial for experienced writers, who may be burning themselves out chasing the wrong dream. Understanding your inner motivations determines what pathways are optimal for your writing business.
- What does it really take to be a successful author? How many hats must a writer wear?
- Maintaining balance in your writing life. A wholistic approach, with multiple real-life examples of how to focus, and write through life's personal challenges.
- A clear look at the differences between Traditionally Published versus Independently Published versus Hybrid authorship—the demands, the pitfalls, the perks of each, and the financial rewards. And which path is best for you based on your motivation for writing.
- A candid look at money. Are your expectations in line with reality? Examine the recent trends and financial data regarding writing incomes and publishing in general. Ignore misinformation: both the false hype and negative Nellys are misleading. Instead, check out reliable data and facts.
- How much time do you really need? Should you write full time or part-time, and how to flourish either way.
- Writing sideshows: how and where you can make extra cash as an author.
Kathleen Baldwin has been in the writing business for decades. More than 600,000 copies of her books are in the hands of readers around the globe. A Japanese publisher even made one of her books into a manga.
Her alternate history for teens, A SCHOOL FOR UNUSUAL GIRLS, was a Junior Library Guild selection. The New York Times called it “enticing from the first sentence.” Kansas State NEA gave it a starred review in their “Best of the Best” for High Schools. It was awarded the Spirit of Texas for middle school reading programs. Scholastic licensed her books for school book fairs, and REFUGE FOR MASTERMINDS won a 2018 Booksellers’ Best award. Ian Bryce, producer of Spiderman, Transformers, Saving Private Ryan, and other blockbuster films, optioned the series for film. The series is currently in a third film option.
- Website: https://kathleenbaldwin.com/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/KatBaldwin
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KathleenBaldwinAuthor
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/168324.Kathleen_Baldwin
- Instagram: https://instagram.com/kathleen.baldwin/
Excellent Teacher. Valuable Information. Worth the Money.
This was the best class I have taken on the publishing industry. Kathleen used statistics and her own personal experiences to break down the different paths a writer can take to publication. She also explored the good and the bad involved. I've never received this much information on publishing from any other class I've taken. Her insight was invaluable. She went above and beyond to help me understand my motivations for writing and how to use them effectively.
Truth About Writing Life and Money provides valuable career info
I learned a great deal about the publishing business in this course. Kathleen Baldwin is an expert on traditional and indie publishing, and generously offers detailed numbers about what authors really make. There's a lot of misinformation floating around the internet, but this class lays out the truth. Kathleen is also generous with her time, answering each and every question in great detail. By the time you finish this class, you have a firm grasp on why you write, and your goals for your writing career.
Review of the Truth About Writing Life and Money -- Kathleen Baldwin
I wish I had taken Kathleen Baldwin's "Review of the Truth About Writing Life and Money" before my historical novel about the Battle of Gettysburg was published in June 2020. A key takeaway I learned from Kathleen is that "all" authors, even a great writer like Kathleen, receive negative reviews on Amazon, BookBub, and GoodReads. It's part of the writing business. Kathleen discusses this topic in detail. Kathleen also discusses several other topics such as her hybrid approach to publishing her books. One of the highlights of the course is how Kathleen digs deep into why you want to be a writer. I strongly recommend this course. I loved it. Kathleen is a super great teacher and mentor.